The purpose of this course is to introduce the student to renewable energy sources and emerging careers in renewable energy. Students will examine geothermal, photovoltaic, solar thermal systems, green building, wind power and others. Basic design, function, cost and other considerations associated with renewable energy sources will be evaluated.
Desired Student Outcomes:
1. To become familiar with the fundamentals of renewable energies.
2. To develop a knowledge and understanding of renewable and non-renewable energies.
3. To acquire an understanding of the different solar thermal applications.
4. To acquire an understanding of the different solar photovoltaic applications.
5. To develop a knowledge and understanding of geothermal system applications.
6. To learn the basic operation geothermal systems.
7. To learn about the different components in a wind generated electricity and their function.
Required Texts and Technology:
* Renewable Energy, Power for a Sustainable Future; Boyle; 2nd Edition; Oxford 2008